- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper ( or use 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder ( garlic lovers increase to 2 teaspoons if desired)
- /2 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( more or less if desired)
- 6 (6 ounce) cod fish fillets ( about 3/4-inch thick)
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 -7 tablespoons vegetable oil ( more or less as needed)
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees to set oven rack to second- lowest position.
- in a large baggy Ziploc plastic bag mix with bread crumbs, cornmeal , seasoning salt, lemon pepper, cayenne and garlic powder; shake the bag to mix (can use a shallow bowl )
- In a shallow bowl slightly beat the eggs.
- Putting one piece of fish at a time to the bag, coat the fish again, repeat for all of the cod pieces; transfer to a plate.
- Heat about 3 tablespoons oil in a large 12 inch ovenproof skillet preferably cast-iron over high heat until hot but not smoking
- Fry the fish until the undersides are golden brown give him 1 minute are more.
- Turn over and putt in another 4 to 5 minutes tablespoons oil then bake another 2 minutes or more
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for minimum 5 to 6 minutes or until just cooked through